Inji Thogayal / Ginger Thogayal
Ginger - peeled and cut into 1inch pieces 3/4 cup
Onion - 1 medium sized
Red chilies - 5 or 6
Urad dhal / Ulutham paruppu - 1 cup / 1 handfull
Tamarind - 1 lemon sized ( if tamarind paste is used, use on table spoon)
salt to taste
coconut - grated 1/4 cup (optional, but tastes good)
gingelly oil - 2 table spoon (thogayal tastes good with it. vegetable oil/sunflower oil can also be used.)
Asafetida /Perungayam - 1pinch
Preparation method :
1) On a kadai / pan, dry roast urad dhal to brownish colour and keep aside. Alongside prepare thick extract of tamarind.(If paste is used, add directly on point 5 below)
2) To the kadai add 2 table spoon oil ,red chilies, asafetida and onion.
3) Saute till the onions turn baby pink and soft.
4) Add the ginger cubes and saute again
5) Add the tamarind extract, grated coconut ,urad dhal and fry again.