Lemon pickle has always been my favourite sidedish for upma, curdrice,chapathi,parathas and other tiffin items
Below mentioned ingredients would be sufficient for 3-4 people for a month.
Big Lemon - 10
Red chillies - 1 & 1/2 cup
Salt - 1/4th of boiled & cooled lemon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 table spoon
Curry leaves - 15 to 20
Mustard seeds - 1 spoon
Gingeli oil - 1 cup
Methi / vendiyam - 1 & 1/2 table spoon
Perungayam / Asafoetida.
Preparation method :
1) Cut the lemons into 4 or 8 equal parts .
2) On a vessel , keep adding water to the lemons such that all of them are fully immersed in water.
3) When the lemons are 80% boiled and lemons seems soft and you see them surrounded by lemon juice concentrate like squash. Remove from heat and cool it down.
4) On a kadai, Fry red chillies dry till they turn half black , keep them aside.
5) Fry Methi seeds or venthiyam till they turn coffee brown ,asafoetida ,turmeric powder and add curryleaves, fry once and add them both to chillies kept aside.
(Once they cool down, Using mixer grinder prepare chilli methi powder.)
6) Add salt to lemons.
7) On the kadai, Add gingeli oil, temper with mustard seeds and add the powder , stir till foam is seen and remove from heat.
8) After they cool down, add it to the lemons and store in a glass vessel.
Enjoy tasty and soft lemon pickle.