Karuvepillai Kozhambu is very good for health and it is one of the best food for women post delivery. You can avoid using red chillies and add equivalent pepper for elders and children.
Urad Dhal / Ulutham paruppu- 3/2 Spoon
Pepper / Melagu - 1 spoon
Red chillies - 5
Mustard - 1/2 Spoon
Curry Leaves / karuvepillai elai - 2 cups and 10 pieces
Tamarind - 1 Lemon Sized ball
Jaggery Powdered - 1 spoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 Teaspoon
Gingelly Oil - 1/2 cup
Asafetida - 1 Pinch
Salt - 3/2 spoon
Method to prepare :
1) With little Gingelly Oil, Fry Urad dhal, Pepper, Red chillies, Asafetida
on a pan and remove from heat.
2) Add curry leaves and saute them with the heat of the pan and allow them to cool.
3) Extract pulp out of the Tamarind ball.
4) Make a paste out of the Dhal-Pepper mixture and Curry leaves using mixer grinder adding some water.
5) On the cooking pan, Add 1/4 gingelly oil, Turmeric powder 10 curry leaves and saute them.
6) Add the tamarind pulp and allow it to boil. Add Jaggery powder ,the paste and salt to it.
7) Saute and allow to cook,Karuvepillai Kozhambhu is almost ready now.
8) After the Kozhambhu is cooked, Remove from heat.
9) With the remaining gingelly oil, fry the mustard seeds till they burst and add it to kozhambu.
10) Serve hot with cooked raw rice and rice pappad.